Monday, October 29, 2007

Prayer

Prayer is something that has been on my heart lately. Saturday afternoon, I found myself sitting off in my littl nook in my bedroom, no music, no noise, and a heavy heart. I told God I had no idea how to pray or what to pray. I just felt like something was missing in my prayer time. The funny thing, God has been teaching me about prayer in unexpected ways. I had always said that intercessory prayer was not my gift. Now that I am seeing this in writing, I realize how ridiculous this may sound to some people. Anyhow, I have found that some of my most powerful prayer times in the past few weeks have been the times I have prayed for other people- for my roommate, for David, for David's sister, etc. I feel the Spirit moving through my words- or should I say God's words? Then I go to pray by myself and after praying for the obvious, I am left with a blank mind that can't think of a single thing to pray for. What is that all about??? Maybe God is trying to show me that there is power in prayer in numbers. But still, something is missing here for me....

I love that verse in Romans about how when we don't know how to pray, the Spirit intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. What exactly are these groans? I stumble over my words, but somehow God in his omniscience understands the graons of the Spirit. I guess the moral of this story is to rest in the promise that God knows my heart. He knows me with a depth I will never even be able to know myself with. Maybe prayer is supposed to be a mystery.....

In His Mercy.

No comments: