Friday, February 8, 2008

Reflection in the Cross

Wednesday nights for me are spent at church with the kids. And I love it. It seems that God really teaches me a lot through my work with the kids. Kids' simplicity can be so profound!

This past wednesday night, one of the little boys, whose probably about 7, was hanging around band practice- his mom was the drummer this week. He walks over to the gold cross on the altar and is looking into it. The worship leader says, "look, you can see your face in the cross." This little boy keeps looking and simply smiles. It made me stop and think. We should all see our reflection in the cross. When I look at the cross, I first off see my sin. I see my brokenness and the sin i my life that lead for the need of the cross. Then I see, second of all, Jesus' broken and bloodied body hanging there, as a penalty for my sin. But lastly, and most importantly, I see the redemption and hope that Jesus offers through His atonement. And to me that is just amazing. As this 7-year-old made me realize, we are all reflected in the cross. God's goodness, grace, mercy, and faithfulness shines through that brokenness hanging there on that old, rugged cross. What an awesome truth!

In other news, I just had a great worship time cleaning our kitchen here in the apartment! I turned on some old Crowder Band, turned it up, and scrubbed my little heart out, tearing as I realized just how deeply I am in need of Jesus. I also learned in this moment that I truly am my mother's daughter=)

In His Mercy.

No comments: