Saturday, January 6, 2007

Ministry

I've been thinking a lot about what ministry looks like.Maybe not in a blanket,general way, but in the ministries that I'm involved with.I think it's vitally important that when people are in ministry together, they are growing deeper in relationship with each other.In other words,the people we are in ministry with should be aware of our passions,our stories,what God is doing in our lives,etc. I think it's hard for true ministry to happen without that trust that it's a safe place to "be." I guess my thoughts are sparked by my own situation.I'm the kind of person who craves quality time.I know I'm an introvert and can come across as someone who just doesn't talk,but that's not me.I need to feel like I can trust people before I pore out my heart.After four months of ministry at my church here in Kentucky,I questioned myself as to why I'm still tentative about showing my heart.It's not because of the people I minister with,it's because there isn't that intentional time of community-building.

These thoughts and realizations have led to me to the process of figuring out what my mentored ministry should be.The easy answer for me is to do something with the children's ministry.I think that's where I am most naturally gifted.But,I also think that my mentored ministry should be something different than what I've done in the past, for reasons ranging from challenging myself and getting a wide range of experience.I think it would be neat to start a small group, maybe focusing in on a ministry that I'm involved with.I want people to see my heart.I want people to know what God has done in my life.I want people to see that I have things to say,that there are issues that I'm passionate about, that my greatest desire in life is to seek the Lord with my whole heart.I'm tired of mediocrity. I'm tired of feeling like I don't belong simply because the opportunity hasn't presented itself to share about who I really am.

So yeah...just some things on my mind.

No comments: