Monday, January 22, 2007

Taking a Break

So I'm here in the library desperately trying to focus on my interpretive assignment due tommorow.Being the procrastinator that I am, I didn't go to the library on Saturday like I should have. It's funny because I love being a student, but motivating myself to do my work is a whole other story.I guess what it comes down to is that I think actual life experience is primary to the classroom- what I'm learning in class should be supplimenting my experiences in ministry.I think that there is only so much that you can learn from a textbook or sitting in a classroom.I want to be out doing what I'm learning about.I know that there's a balance between these two things.Either I have no clue what is or the professors have no clue what it is-or both=)

Anyhow, I ahd an awesome day yesterday.Church was powerful.I've been praying about my mentored ministry a lot lately.I knew I wanted to do something different that would challenge me.I have an idea in my head right now, but it's still being kept in prayer.Yesterday's sermon was confirmation that my idea would be beneficial to the church and to God's Kingdom.Pretty much I would like to launch an outreach ministry to the families of the kids in our children's ministry.The sermon preached was about the parable of the wedding banquet. Aaron talked about a first banquet, which is fellowship at a superficial level, but is still neccesary in order to get to the second mystical banquet where people will encounter Jesus Christ. His focus was on the need to invite the poor,crippled, blind, etc. It was convicting.When you live in Wilmore, it's easy to stay in a little Christian bubble.It' s easy to make excuses of why you don't know many non-Christians.So,I think that my mentored ministry holds potential of getting me out of the Asbury bubble and doing what God has asked of me.

But life is just good right now,really.Sara reminded me the other day (courtesy of her blog) that life isn't about killing time until the "next big thing" happens to us.Things are happening now.God is doing good things now.Are my eyes open to this?Is my heart?My ears? My whole being? I think I'm at a point where I know that life isn't something that's awaiting me somewhere "out there," but it's here and it's now and whether I like it or not,I'm living it now.Big things are happening and God has blessed me beyond measure and for that I'm eternally grateful.

In his mercy...

No comments: