Sunday, February 11, 2007

Blessed are the Poor

Church was amazing today. Lots of things to mull over.I guess when I got up to sing with the praise team, it was one of those days where I just didn't "feel like" singing.But something that Aaron said in the sermon reminded me that I was looking at in the completely wrong way. Today we talked about the poor and the need to minister with the poor, and not to the poor.What jumped out at me was this statement: "don't assume that you have anything else to offer but Jesus Christ." Wow.Think about that.If we aren't primarily offering Jesus to the people we minister with, then anything we are trying to offer to them means nothing.We are nothing without Jesus; we have nothing to give that hasn't been given to us straight from Jesus' hand.

It's so easy in ministry to think along these lines: "I'm good with kids and I can sing.This is what I can offer the church ministry-wise." Note that these have been my thoughts.But I have it all wrong.It's not the singing or the delivered children's message that I'm offering.If it is,then I've missed out on something.It's Jesus that I have to offer.Singing and children's messages are merely the vehicles. It was a very convicting sermon.It seems like such an obvious thing; its simplicity is exactly what makes it so profound.

We sang this hymn to close the service. I sat in prayer, drinking in these words and the hope of Jesus Christ:

Guide me, O thou great Jehovah,pilgrim though this barren land;
I am weak, but thou art mighty;hold me with thy powerful hand;
Bread of heaven, Bread of heaven,feed me till I want no more,feed me till I want no more.

Open now the crystal fountain,whence the healing stream doth flow;
let the fire and cloudy pillar lead me all my journey through;
strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer.be thou still my Strength and Shield,be thou still my Strength and Shield.

When I tread the verge of Jordan,bid my anxious fears subside;
bear me through the swelling current,land me safe on Canaan's side;
songs of praises, songs of praises,I will ever give to thee,I will ever give to thee.

No comments: