Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Jeremiah

So yesterday in my Jeremiah class,we got on the topic of God's will.Stone said that really our need to know what "God's will" is comes from our middle class choice.Up until even the past couple of centuries, people didn't really have a lot of options.Women were wives and mothers and men did whatever their fathers did.The reason why so many calls were so dramatic to do something more in biblical times was because they had no choice.People didn't ask "who am I supposed to marry?" or "what job should I take?" Stone's point was that a lot of times we impose our questions onto the text, when really those questions were never asked in the first place.

God's will is something that baffles me.I certainly think that we do have freedom of choice- although I once got into a conversation with a guy in undergrad who believed that God made every single choice for us-going so far as to say that God tells him to eat such-and-such for dinner.I think that unless a choice clearly contradicts God's Word, then we really have more than one option for things. I think that God does call people to certain professions, but that in that call there is a freedom to say, "Hey, I think working here would be a better fit for me than working there." There may not be a "bad" option, but there very well may be a better one.I think the most important thing is that we are honoring God and staying true to His Word.

I'm not discounting people who say that God told them that this particular person is who they are going to marry, I just don't think that that can be a general rule.I don't think that there is "one person" out there for each of us.That seems a bit hopeless if you ask me.As long as Jesus is the center of our lives, I think there are many roads that He would bless!

In His Mercy...

No comments: