Sunday, February 25, 2007

Role Reversal

So today in church I witnessed something that brought tears to my eyes. I saw the Body of Christ- for a brief moment- function the way it should. I don't mean this to sound harsh, or to sound as if I think there is no hope in the church.I mean this in a way that acknowledges that all churches have their fair share of problems.

Anyways, here's what happened.During the last one or two worship songs, the altar is always opened up for people who want prayer or time to reflect.After the last person from the congregation sat back down in their pew, the pastor got down on his knees at the altar.I watched from up front as I sang as people stood up from the congregation and surrounded him with their presence and prayers.It was a beautiful thing.Here were broken sheep recognizing that even the shepherd needs to be fed and taken care of.I stood there singing with tears stinging to push their way down my cheek.In a perfect world, this is what the Body of Christ would always look like.

It's awesome to see God work in unexpected ways....

No comments: