Monday, February 19, 2007

Conversion

So I'm taking a class on John Wesley's theology this semester.Today I was reading about his thoughts on conversion.Wesley believed that conversion is very rarely an individualistic thing.I've never really thought about this, but it's so true.There are a handful of people that have impacted my life and pushed me towards becoming a Christian.One person is my mom.She raised me in the church and held me responsible to biblical standards, even before I was saved.Her godly life has truly been a blessing and an inspiration to me. Another person is my pastor, who has been at my church almost 9 years.He brought a new life into the church and for the first time,I actually heard the gospel being preached in my church.Then there's Alec Sprinkle.He's one of those poeple that comes into your life for only a brief time,but has a deep impact.We met on a mission trip the summer before my junior year of high school.He was the first person my own age who actually lived the Christian life and truly believed in the message of the cross.This alone was amazing to me.

It was at a Good Friday servie with a guest preacher at my church that brought me to my knees.I was 17 and I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior that night.I honestly believe that that would not have happened had it not been for the Christian community that had poured into me before I made that decision. So no, conversion cannot be an individualistic thing. Evangelism and discipleship go hand-in-hand.It is of vital importance to be connected to the Body of Christ.This life cannot be lived by ourselves! Yes,we can be independent, but there also needs to be a level of Christian interdependence in order to be truly fed and to grow in Christian maturity!

In His Mercy....

No comments: