Tuesday, March 27, 2007

God's Word

I've been meaning to write this entry sicne thursday.Right now I'm taking Exegesis of JEremiah.We spent all of thursday's class talking about the call narrative in the first chapter.Seeing as how I'm a seminary student who doesn't know what life is going to look like when I graduate in 2 years, this is a topic that I always pay special attention to.

At any rate, we spent some time talking about God's Word.Our prof said that God's Word possesses a power that we may not even believe is there-but it is irregardless of our own opinions.This comment struck me.I do believe that God's Word is life, it's food for us Christians, it holds weight in our lives, it's authoratative.But I also admit that maybe I haven't allowed myself to believe that God's Word alone can change lives.I know this may sound horrible, but I grew up in church.The Word always came to me via other people.And no doubt,God can use this as a means of grace.But what about the Atheist who pulls out the Bible in a hotel room on a whim and reads the gospel account and his/her heart is transformed by the Spirit? That is the power of God's Word.

This whole discussion reminded me of the first year I went to Wales.It was the first year a team had been sent to this town, so really our job was to plant seeds.Isaiah 55 became the theme of that week very quickly.It really did boil down to trusting that God would accomplish what He desired.The next two years were such a blessing because we got to see that foundation being built upon.

So yeah,I just thought it was pretty darn awesome to reflect on the power God's Word holds!

In His Mercy...

No comments: