Saturday, March 3, 2007

William Wilberforce

So if you haven't gone to see Amazing Grace yet,you should.It's an incredible movie! There were a few things that really stood out to me.One is the fact that William Wilberforce was one person, a commoner, who had a passion and acted on it.And look what he accomplished? How often do we say/think that we are only one person and what could we possibly accomplish of consequence?By saying this we are in a sense limiting what God can do through us.Through one man's passion, slavery was abolished.All it takes is one small spark to start a fire...

I was also struck by John Newton in the movie. At one point he said, "I am a great sinner and Christ is a great savior." I think that sums up the life of a Christian.We are so good at sinning...praise God for His grace in Jesus Christ.He certainly is a great savior.

There was one other thing about John Newton that brought tears to my eyes.John Newton wrote Amazing Grace (the song) after being redeemed from being a slave-driver.As the years past of his life, he became physically blind.Wilberforce visits him towards the end of the movie and John says, "I was once was blind,but now I see.I wrote those words once,didn't I? Now at last it's true!" True sight isn't having 20/20 vision (although sometimes I wish I did have 20/20 vision=) ). True sight seeing the truth of Jesus Christ.It's repenting of our sin and allowing God to awaken our spiritual senses.Only then can we truly see...

So yeah,good movie.

In His Mercy...

No comments: