Monday, April 30, 2007

Family

I think one of the hardest things for me to handle with my involvement in children's ministries is seeing the brokenness in the family that accompanies it. I was talking to my parents yesterday about a certain situation that I had encountered this week in regard to brokenness in the family and I found myself in tears. I just cannot understand it. I cannot comprehend it. I cannot accept the fact that there are kids being beaten, who are told that it's "for their own good." It is NEVER acceptable to beat a child, or anyone for that matter. But of all the people to beat, to beat a child seems senseless and evil. I nanny a few kids and when I spend time with them, I just can't imagine ever laying a hand on them. I love them with all my heart. They are so precious.

Abuse in the home seems to be cyclical. When you tell a child that it's for their own good that they are beaten and that they are loved, well those are pretty mixed messages, but that child automatically is more suseptible to becoming an abuser. It's an ugly cycle that needs to be broken. Kids need to know that it is NOT OK to be beaten.

I propose that ministry HAS to be to the family, and not just the child. If we are just ministering to the child, then we are missing out on a very important component. If we recognize the severe brokenness in the child, then we almost have to assume that there is severe brokenness in the family- whether that is physical abuse, or emotional/mental abuse. Therefore, ministry needs to start with the family. If the family unit is broken as a whole, then how is that child ever going to be ok???

Just some things on my mind....

2 comments:

David Wofford said...

...the abuse seems to be resultant of the brokeness within the parent. I believe that if the parent could gain some inner-perspective on themselves and the love they deserve, they would come with a very different outlook and perspective.

Of course this is kingdom work that seems to continue forward. 'thy kingdom come, on earth as it is in Heaven,' Lord...

maggie said...

one of the things i quickly realized during my first year of doing inner city ministry was how "generational" the brokenness was. bad habits were being passed on in force. so i definitely agree with you about the whole 'cyclical' thing. very true. which is why ministering to the parents is CRUCIAL.

i know there are many moments of broknness for you as you work with the kids, but know that God is using you. i see it, and it is glorious.