Saturday, June 23, 2007

Walking the Line

So I've been thinking about the difference between dependence and interdependence. There's a fine line between the two. Dependence can be a very dangerous thing.In fact, I honestly think the only one we can ACTUALLY depend on is the Lord. God made us to be dependent on Him and not on each other. However, before you start raising eyebrows at that last comment, let me qualify that statement by saying that God DID create us to be interdependent with each other. We are to bear each others burdens, not let people dump their problems on us or dump our own problems on other people. We are to encourage others, but also recognize that there are boundaries that we need to have in order to keep our own sanity. We are to utilize our gifts and abilities in order to build the Body up, while at the same time leave room for grace and forgiveness because sometimes we mess up and let people down. We are to give and receive. Dependence often becomes a one-way street, but interdependence is a two-way street. It's more about equality.

An example of this I see in my own life is my relationship with David. We are our own people. We understand who we are apart from each other, but at the same time we have a profound sense and understanding of who we are together. We have areas of our lives that our are own, but yet we still share those things with each other. I know that I still crave my independence, but all the same, I crave the interdependence that David and I have in our relationship. It's a mystery to me. It's God's grace- the coming together of two lives- one from Georgia and one from Connecticut.

I think that we all struggle with dependence at one point or another. We walk that fine line between healthy interdependence and unhealthy dependence. What counts is what we do about it- will we make that tough decision to take the steps needed to break that dependence? Or will we choose to stay in that dependence and ultimately hurt ourselves? I've been in those "dependency situations." I ended up just hurting myself and eventually I realized I was not being kind to my friends. I took the steps needed to be a whole healthy person.

In His Mercy...

No comments: