Friday, November 9, 2007

Growing Pains

I realized today what an interesting phase of my life I am in. It's funny, because starting about half-way through college, I thought a lot about marriage. At that point, marriage was a smooth transition. There would be no inbetween phase where I would have to let go of my parents and lean on my husband. I think that this problematic thought process existed because I had no context for marriage. Now I find myself in a place where I am getting professional degree, I am 850 miles away from home, and in a committed relationship. My thought process has chnaged and so has my heart. It has been hitting me hard lately that I need my parents in a very different way now. I'm learning how to lean on David and to need him- in healthy ways of course. It's a hard process to face there evidently is an overlap phase where I'm still holding onto my parents with one hand and the other hand is holding onto David. This causes a lot of tension for me. I am the baby girl in my family, so to have to let go is painful. I was telling David last night that I really feel like I am processing through growing pains that happen at this stage of life. It's hard, but I'm so excited to see how God is going to continue to move and birng David and I's hearts closer and closer together.

This morning I met with my group for my discipleship class. We have a group paper to put together. I was kind of dreading this paper because group papers can be disastrous. It is a daunting task to integrate 5 different papers into one. But as we sat around going over our papers and talking with one another, I felt empowered. I don't know how else to describe it. It made me excited about our paper. It made me excited about ministry. It's amazing how God can come down and say, "Sarah, get over yourself. Stop stressing out over these things. This can work. I can work even in situations like this. And right now, I want you to see how blessed you are to be able to discuss ministry with other passionate people."

So yes, I am in an interesting phase of my life right now. And I am so blessed. I love where I am. I love the people in my life. I love the ministry opportunities I have been given. But most of all, I love how the Lord is moving!

In His Mercy.

No comments: